Contact is in the top 1% of the most environmentally friendly public buildings in the North West.
Contact are proud to be members of Fit for the Future, a thriving sustainability network of more than 80 organisations from the not-for-profit sector and beyond. As a collective with similar challenges, Fit for the Future members are collaborating and innovating to find practical solution to the impacts of climate-change. Becoming sustainable means that we can save time, money and resources for the things that really matter to us, and lower the impact we have on the environment. To find out more visit www.fftf.org.uk
Contact is also one of the lead National Portfolio Organisations working with Arts Council England and Julie’s Bicycle to provide leadership in sustainability across cultural organisations nationally.
Contact is a masonry building from 1963 located on The University of Manchester campus. The redevelopment in 1999 included refitting the main auditorium from seating 232 people to seating 334 people and improving the lighting and acoustic arrangements. During the project, the decision was also made to have an assisted natural ventilation system installed and no air-conditioning, resulting in a significant reduction in energy use.
We are already recycling 100% of our waste and are checking weekly energy use against programmes to identify the impacts of different activities, so that areas for reduction can be prioritised. Other ways in which Contact support sustainable energy are:
- We have invested in an all-electric van and charging station.
- Contact established a Green Champions scheme to support staff engagement in environmental matters.
- We have achieved a DEC rating of A for two years running.
- Our electricity supply is one supplied entirely from renewable energy sources.
- We have added environmental sustainability to the agenda for staff and board meeting.
- We continue to create a communications strategy for the public awareness programme.
- Our investment in e-tickets and digital payments has greatly reduced our paper consumption.
- Our Season Brochure is printed using vegetable ink on FSC certified paper.
To find out more about Contact’s building, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org