We’re working with Young Manchester on the city’s first ever youth social change symposium, and we’re looking for four young people to be part of a steering group to help shape the event.
The symposium will celebrate youth led social change, young people’s political voices, personal experiences and opinions. Up to 200 young people will be invited to the final event in March 2020, and the day will feature talks, workshops and performances.
What is the steering group?
The steering group will help to plan and deliver the Symposium. We want to work with young people who have opinions on the local environment and wider society, and who will help us understand what is important and interesting to young people in Manchester.
We’re looking for people to help us create a day focused on social change; disruptive, informative, challenging, and inspiring for all ages.
As well as getting the experience of being part of the planning and development of a major event, the 4 chosen individuals will be paid £30 per steering group session, and a fee to attend the final event.
Are you eligible?
- Have you been involved in a group with a social change focus? We are interested in all forms of social change (for example- this could be a project that has positively impacted your community, a society at school/ college, or online campaigning or blog, a protest or something else we haven’t even thought of!)
- Are you aged 14-18?
- Are you a resident in Manchester?
- Have you got ideas on things like- important issues effecting young people, young people’s rights and activism, or around how society could be improved in the future?
- Can you commit to attending monthly steering group session, (they will start in October 2019- and end in February 2020).
If the answer is yes, we would love to hear from you!
How to apply:
Complete this form (click submit and the answers will come to us)
We will ask you to tell us about:
- Any experience you have in being a part of a group/ project/ club that is about positive social change or youth empowerment
- A subject you think is important to young people right now
- Anything else you’d like to share about yourself, or why you want to be on the steering group.
If you have any questions about being part of the steering group, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 0161 274 0646.
Deadline to complete online form: Friday 4th October 2019.