We want to hear from rappers, singers, visual artists, actors, writers, poets, musicians, photographers and creatives of all types. No matter what your artistic practice is, this opportunity could be for you.
Working with Contact and RECLAIM, the Creative Protagonists will explore how the arts has been used as a form of protest throughout the ages. They will then work towards creating their own piece of radical artistic work. This could be an EP, a zine, a collection of poems, short stories or monologues.
You will also get paid to attend each session.
What you’ll do
The programme will take place from October 2020 and include regular workshops and opportunities.
- Critical Thinking Sessions – exploring class and social inequality, activism and movements.
- Creative Development Sessions – exploring different forms of creative expression and the use of arts for social change.
- Core Skills
- 1:1 Mentoring – working with a Creative Producer who is experienced in your chosen art form, you’ll develop your socially engaged art piece.
- Networking – introductions to industry experts and organisations who will help shape your art piece and further your creative development.
- Showcase – Led by the Creative Protagonists, this will be a public sharing of the work that has been developed.
What you’ll get by joining
- Professional development opportunities with Reclaim, Contact and experienced industry professionals.
- 1-1 mentoring with a Creative Producer.
- Development of leadership skills and access to networks.
- £250 of seed funding to develop your own work.
We’re looking for individuals who:
- Are 14-19 years old.
- Live in the Greater Manchester area.
- Are working-class.
- Are passionate about art and activism.
- Can commit to weekly sessions taking place on Tuesday evenings and weekend workshop days in November.
How to apply
Answer the following questions
You can send this answers via email, whatsapp/text or even phone call.
- Why do you want to take part in Creative Protagonists?
- What is your creative practice?
- What would you like to create on the project?
- What issue are you concerned about?
Please remember to include your name and pronouns.
Please submit all applications to firstname.lastname@example.org or 07587 051528.
Deadline for applications: Wednesday 16 September 2020
Interviews: Week commencing Monday 21 September
For more information, on any of the above, please contact Rose Sergent, Leadership Projects Coordinator – email@example.com / 07587 051528
RECLAIM’s groundbreaking programmes have enabled over 1,000 young leaders to critically explore the world around them and to implement powerful social change initiatives aimed at readdressing the status-quo of class-based inequality, wherever it occurs.
Contact is the leading national theatre and arts venue to place young people at the decision-making heart of everything.
Creative Protagonists is funded by Young Manchester.