CYC’s summer 2022 production will be directed by Berlin-based arts collective Gob Squad.
They will be creating an audio-visual tour in local neighbourhoods. Your role as Assistant Director will be to creatively support lead artists and the director, provide pastoral support to participants, and carry out administrative tasks.
This is a development/training role for past CYC participants, so experience in similar role isn’t essential.
The process will involve an 8-week workshop period (2 workshops per week, 6pm-9pm). Dates for workshops are:
11/05/2022, 12/05/2022, 18/05/2022, 19/05/2022, 25/05/2022, 27/05/2022, 01/06/2022, 02/06/2022, 08/06/2022, 09/06/2022, 15/06/2022, 16/06/2022, 22/06/2022, 23/06/2022, 29/06/2022, 30/06/2022
This will be followed by a 4-week devising period including production week:
WB 4th July, Mon-Fri, 6-9pm
WB 11th July, Mon-Fri, 5-9pm
WB 18th July, Mon-Fri, 5-9pm, Sat 10am-6pm
WB 25th July, Mon-Sat, Production week, timings TBC
ABOUT THE DIRECTING COMPANY
Gob Squad are a collective of UK and German artists. We make performances and videos which search for beauty in the everyday, and explore the point where theatre meets art, media and real life. As well as theatres and galleries, we place our work at the heart of urban life – in houses, shops, underground stations, car parks, hotels or directly on the street.
Gob Squad consists of 7 core artists. Sarah Thom will be taking the lead on this piece, with input from the wider collective.
For more info, visit the Gob Squad website: https://www.gobsquad.com
DETAILS AND DUTIES OF THE ASSISTANT DIRECTOR ROLE
• To offer creative assistance to the director in the rehearsal process of the show scheduled above.
• To assist in the planning, delivery and evaluation of a series of workshops with Contact Young Company with the lead artist, visiting artists, and directing company.
• To work with participants/members of CYC to create an environment that is dynamic, fun and stimulating creative process, empowering individuals to develop their own creativity.
• Ensure that CYC become a fully bonded group who understand the mission of the company and Contact’s theatre-making process as a whole.
• To assist the workshop leaders in taking notes from the sessions to document work and breakthroughs which can be taken into the devising process and be made available for director, Sarah Thom to refer to.
• To produce regular blogs on the progress and development of the company and publish on the Contact website.
• To take the group register at every session.
• To support young people at all times and keep the young people’s producer updated on any pastoral or safeguarding issues.
• This role is suitable for someone interested in creating a piece of theatre that happens in a non-performance space with an interest in film and multimedia performance. You should be confident in leading group games and exercises.
The fee for this role is £3400, inclusive of all dates detailed above + planning and preparatory time (including meetings).
HOW TO APPLY
To apply for our Assistant Director role, please email CYC Producer Lauren on firstname.lastname@example.org by 6PM on Fri 1st April with a short cover letter or a video or a voice recording expressing your interest, briefly explaining:
1) Any relevant experience you have as part of a creative process – this could be within Contact or externally (e.g.: this could be about your performance, directing, facilitating or devising experience).
2) Why you would like to do the role (e.g.: this should be about the development it could offer, interest in theme and the director)?
3) Any interest or experience you have in creating work that uses film, or other media
4) Confirm your availability for the process as outlined.
The selection process will involve an informal Zoom interview with the Young People’s Producer and Director. If you would like any more information or guidance, please email (above) or call 0161 274 0600 and ask to speak with Lauren Banks.