The Contact Diverse Actions Commission offers the opportunity for an exciting, engaging and radical BAME live artist or performance maker to create a new solo show.
Contact is internationally renowned for producing relevant, distinctive new work.
We work with a diverse range of artists with something important to say about the world. Shows are presented in Manchester before touring nationally, as well as through live streaming, and recently on BBC TV and iPlayer.
About Diverse Actions:
Diverse Actions is a Live Art UK and Contact initiative which champions culturally diverse (BAME: Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic) ambition, excellence and talent in Live Art and contemporary performance. Diverse Actions builds on Live Art’s vital role as a practice of artistic innovation and a space to express complex ideas of cultural identity.
The Contact Diverse Actions Commission offers the opportunity for an exciting, engaging and radical BAME live artist or performance maker to create a new solo show. You will receive a £2,000 commission fee, as well as additional financial contribution held by Contact (of up to £6,000) for dramaturgical, technical and marketing support, as well as rehearsal space and sharing opportunities. As the culmination of the commission, the final piece will be programmed to première to audiences in Manchester during Contact’s artistic program in Autumn 2018.
The commission will offer two clear strands of opportunity:
- To develop a new piece of work, over an extended period of time and with deep dramaturgical/R&D support.
- To further develop the work through presentation with LAUK partners, alongside developing a tour pack, visuals and programmer networks for future onward touring.
Who can apply?
The Diverse Actions commission is open to a BAME live-artist or contemporary theatre/performance maker who explores live art practices, aged 18+, who has an idea for an ambitious solo performance piece. You may be an emerging or more established artist, but you should have evidence of experience in creating and staging your work for professional contexts.
Although you do not have to live or work exclusively in Manchester, you will be expected to spend time developing your show in Manchester, and to undertake a minimum of 2 weeks of R&D here (dates to be confirmed in consultation). There is a travel and accommodation allocation within the commission offer, but further funding opportunities and partnerships could be sought to bolster this. Contact will assist with any applications to further develop the work.
How to apply:
1. Please provide a one-page statement of interest describing who you are (performance history and style) and your idea for a new solo performance (this can be sent as an audio or video piece to camera if more accessible for you).
2. A video clip (up to 5 minutes) of your work, on DVD or as a link to online content. Any images you have of your work (marketing or production shots) are also additionally welcomed.
3. Shortlisted candidates (as below) will be invited for a selection day at Contact on Saturday 2nd December (from 1-6PM). It is important that all shortlisted artists are available for this time.
4. You are also warmly encouraged to attend a ‘meet the artist’ event at Contact at 11AM on Saturday 28th October, where you can talk to staff and current Contact supported artists, and that evening see the work of Demi Nandhra, Afreena Islam and Jackie Hagan at Flying Solo Festival 2017 for a reduced ticket price.
Following the application deadline, 8-10 shortlisted artists will be invited to meet with members of the Contact team on Saturday 2nd December (between 1-6PM) to discuss their work and proposal. As with all Contact’s decision-making, young people will be part of that process, but your work does not need to address young people specifically. We will also arrange for any interested candidates to watch a programmed show that evening. Please note we cannot cover travel expenses to attend the selection day, but refreshments and free tickets to a performance that evening will be provided.
Send your statement of interest, along with examples of your work (video and images) and a completed ‘Inclusion and Diversity’ form with the subject title of ‘Diverse Actions Commission’ to: firstname.lastname@example.org by 10AM on Wednesday 15th November 2017. The file size limit is 5MB. Enquires can also be sent to the above address.
Inclusion and Diversity Form download: Inclusion and Diversity Form