Contact and The National Theatre of Scotland: Rites
Ticket Info£14 FULL // £8 CONC.
- BSL interpreted
This event has finished, tickets are no longer available.
- ★★★★★ - Upstaged Manchester 'accomplished' Click to read more
- ★★★★★ - The Public Reviews 'human' 'inclusive' Click to read more
- ★★★★ - The Times 'powerful' 'sensitively performed' Click to read more
- ★★★★ - The Guardian 'subtly argued' Click to read more
- ★★★★ - The Herald 'unflinching study of female genital mutilation' Click to read more
- ★★★★ - The List 'a powerful call to listen' Click to read more
- ★★★★ - The Big Issue 'bold and challenging perspective' Click to read more
- ★★★★ - TV Bomb 'demonstrates exactly why FGM is an issue for 21st century Britain' Click to read more
- ★★★ - The Telegraph 'well researched and culturally sensitive' Click to read more
Rites is a powerful and provocative new production exploring the deep-rooted cultural practice of Female Genital Mutilation (FGM - sometimes called female circumcision).
Rites is based on recent interviews and true stories from girls affected in the UK, mothers who feel under pressure to continue the practice, and the experiences of midwives, lawyers, police officers, teachers and health workers trying to effect change in communities.
The show weaves different perspectives into a multi-voiced production exploring the complexities, misconceptions and challenges involved in trying to change what is to many, a fundamental rite of passage.
Created by Olivier award-winning director, Cora Bissett (Roadkill, Glasgow Girls) and acclaimed Mancunian theatre-maker Yusra Warsama (Make-Believe, There Has Possibly Been An Incident).
WOMEN ONLY PERFORMANCE - WED 13 MAY, 12:30PM
- Booking for the women-only performance is available by phone via 0161 274 0600 and in person at the Contact box office.
- Suitable for over 14s.
- BSL interpreted on Thu 14 May, 7:30pm.
- A co-production between The National Theatre of Scotland and Contact.
- Supported by the Scottish Refugee Council and Dignity Alert Research Forum (DARF).
- Created by Cora Bissett and Yusra Warsama.
- Directed by Cora Bissett.
- Sound Design / Composition by Patricia Panther.
- Video Design by Kim Beveridge.
- Touring from 5 to 30 May 2015 - Mayfesto at the Tron Theatre, Glasgow (5 to 9 May); Bristol (week of 18 May) and the Traverse Theatre, Edinburgh (week of 25 May).