This is a description of the role of PRODUCER that Dominic Berry's 'Wizard' show is now recruiting for.
WHAT IS 'WIZARD'?
'Wizard' is a show which deals frankly with modern mental health issues. It is written by award-winning poet Dominic Berry (2011 New York Nuyorican Poetry Cafe Slam champ and UK Superheroes of Slam winner).
"When an agoraphobic Wizard shares his world of tea loving carpet goblins and a zombie slaying dish rack with a neighbour from the flat above, three days of magic change both their lives forever."
'Wizard' has received three successive awards from Grants for the Arts at different stages of development. The first award was made in 2009 to write the 'Wizard' show. We were then awarded funding to stage an R&D version of 'Wizard' at Contact in 2010. Our third grant enabled us to take the show on tour, together with funding from Arts on Prescription, The Poetry Society of Oxford University and Write Angle.
In 2012, 'Wizard' enjoyed a huge turn out to five nights at Contact followed by shows in Petersfield, Oxford, Nelson and Central London.
A trailer of the show can be seen here: http://vimeo.com/26267328
Reviews of the show can be seen here:
‘Wizard’ in Manchester review 1: http://frasermalaney.blogspot.co.uk/2012/04/half-baked-review-wizard-by-dominic.html
‘Wizard’ in Manchester review 2: http://unmemorablemusings.tumblr.com/post/20344441221/wizard-a-review
‘Wizard’ in Petersfield review: http://www.petersfieldwriteangle.co.uk/images/review_post120502.jpg
‘Wizard’ in London review 1: http://www.writeoutloud.net/public/blogentry.php?blogentryid=29217
‘Wizard’ in London review 2: http://pawhouseboy.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/review-wizard-by-dominic-berry.html
WHAT ARE THE NEXT STEPS FOR 'WIZARD'?
After a successful first tour, Dominic, fellow 'Wizard' actor Ben Jewell and show director Martin Stannage want to hire an experienced producer to work with us on our second tour. We already have a number of venues who are interested in staging this work.
The main aspects of the job of producer will be:
- Funding Bids: work on securing funding with support from Dominic. This will include an application to Grants for the Arts, but will also involve researching and contacting other funders, and making the relevant applications.
- Venues: secure venues for second tour. Negotiate fees/box office splits, and liaise with the venues on an ongoing basis throughout the tour.
- Marketing: create a marketing plan with support from the 'Wizard' team. Promote 'Wizard' in creative, interesting, memorable, relevant ways. A major focus of the role of producer is promoting the show and generating audiences.
- Budget: manage 'Wizard' budget with support from Dominic, including arranging transport to shows, accommodation, managing artists' fees and working with the 'Wizard' team to source props, costume and set.
- Evaluation: establish an evaluation plan, meeting the reporting requirements of funders where necessary. Collate data from audiences and workshop attendees on an ongoing basis.
- Administration: contact management, recording work undertaken and other tour support duties.
Producing for arts shows or projects
Marketing / promotion to a range of audiences via media / social media
Producing regional / national tours
Existing networks and links to potential venues, other arts professionals, mental health agencies and the media
Excellent written and verbal communication
Ability to communicate with a wide range of audiences including senior stake holders e.g. venue managers and funding panels
Negotiation and diplomacy
Good organisational and admin skills
Good time management (simultaneously running multiple tasks and consistently meeting deadlines)
Understanding of mental health issues
Willingness to travel
Ability to perform well under pressure
During the previous tour, the total fee for the producer was £2,400. We would anticipate that the fee for this tour would be similar or greater (subject to successful funding applications). The precise nature of wage and working hours will be discussed at interview.
Subject to input from the successful candidate, we are considering a tour during winter 2012. However, spring 2013 is equally likely. The exact nature of the schedule will be partly dependant on feedback from prospective venues and funders.
HOW TO APPLY
Please email a covering letter explaining how you meet the criteria, together with your CV to Dominic at:
The deadline for applications is Friday 22nd June
Successful applicants will be invited to an interview in Manchester during the week commencing Monday 2nd July.
If you have any questions, please do contact Dominic by phone or email.
07804 745 079